braga - portugal, 1973
works and lives in porto - portugal, currently in spain.
00351 936 358 743
Artist with a complex and dynamic profile, assumes the field of visual arts as a central focus of his practice, thereafter he moves without any dout by a variety of media and art languages. from draw to installation, from photography to performance, he uses and works the fragmentation of the disciplines in his experimentation process.
A. R. Costa is one of the portuguese artists who has most contributed to define systems of independence for the art practice, and the artist himself... independence on the production and artwork dissemination / promotional process. He is the responsible for the co-foundation of spaces in Porto - Portugal, where he developed curatorship activity. These activities always had different cultural objectives, from those in the "formal" channels of display. We must say, he is an "artist-curator" like, Pedro Cabral Santo, Paulo Mendes or Manuel Santos Maia.
His practice, is winsome as it is real, and disarm emblematic dimensions of "settled" or "pre-determined" systems - a process seen as a "self-undefined" methodology or, a kind of tour by contemporary disorder. This process disrupt the idea of communication systems, regular processes, power or certainty. A. R. Costa vocabulary confirms a critical analysis around the disappointment of cultural/social contemporary system, which implies simulation and despotism, developed as a way to punish the individual.
Alexandre A. R. Costa, proposes the "undecidability" of his own practice, leaving space for the spectator increase his conscious and critical position... … Read More
- Currently is developing his PhD thesis: "The contemporary art practice between entropy and self-regulation", PhD supervisor: Javier Tudela, Doctor of Philosophy, expert in contemporary art and theories related to Chaos.
- PhD program at the Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Vigo , obtaining the Diploma of Advanced Studies - PhD [DEA]  with the project: "Flexibility and transmutation of contemporary art ... ".
- Postgraduation [Master of Arts Research Programme] with an investigation into the "Site-specific / Public Art Practices & Visual Arts at Higher Education", Surrey, Roehampton University, London.
- Degree in Fine Arts - Sculpture at the Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Porto [1994-1999] .
- Soares dos Reis Art School, Porto.
- Teacher: Higher Education.
- Currently: Scholarship for PhD by F.C.T. (Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology).
solo exhibitions + independent projects or occasional interventions
2010 - [exhibition] war toy on my war: the story of an anti-monument @ parque da juventude/ a park where young people can undertake cultural, social and sport activities [commissioned by amnesty international - nucleus of kids and house of culture] vila nova de famalico, portugal
2010 - [exhibition] ...nice to see you ms. hollow! @ oficina cultural [gallery of instituto politcnico de viana do castelo] viana do castelo, portugal
2009 - [exhibition] banca de artista @ serpente - contemporary art gallery [miguel bombarda] porto, portugal
2007 - [public dispositive] brot auf der strae: bread on the road, an exercise of entropy or self imagination @ [beetween berlin mitte - rosenthaler platz and the schnefeld airport] berlin, germany
2006 - [draw -display] from filipe sampaio collection, visual art work of alexandre a.r. costa, @ dr. filipe sampaio's private gallery, portugal.
2004 - [exhibition] gatherings or the epigram of the contemporary game? @ alvarez salaum gallery, oporto, portugal
2002 - [exhibition] with the corrosion @ dhiva n1, tzp, famalico, portugal
2001 - [rotative images slideshow device] only the character of the big ears doesn't walk in space activity @ artemosferas, oporto, portugal.
- [interactive devices] in your own backyard @ artemosferas, oporto, portugal.
2000 - [exhibition]"art" @ global author, famalico, portugal.
1999 - [exhibition] finalist - visual arts @ museu do surrealimo [provisionally], famalico, portugal.
2008 - rnd output [installation, vdeo & performance by fictionary players & hmbrito] - exhibition: on space off space on - espao para duas propostas de comissariado de alexandre a. r. costa & tiago almeida, parbola gallery - jos falco 124, porto, portugal
2008 - le menu parodie [installation & performance by fictionary players] kaldarte 13 - no-nexo caldas de reis, pontevedra, spain
2008 - [invited artist] luzboa2008 III lisbon contemporary art biennal, lisbon, portugal
2007 - bunnys - sports [installation by fictionary players] at rosalux, berlin, germany
2006 - mail O2 , calouste gulbenkian foundation, paris, france
- i.m.a.n., casa das artes, famalico, Portugal
2005 - sonda.viseu, i.p.j. gallery, viseu, portugal
- mini - cars project - art en el coche, kaldarte, caldas de reis and itinerary for cultural spaces in spain
- i.m.a.n., casa das artes, famalico, portugal
2004 - 5 artistas 5 atitudes, cinanima, espinho, portugal
2003 - III prmio de escultura city desk, cascais cultural center, d.luis I foundation, cascais, portugal
- praticle project [presenting o.p.a.c.a.] university of surrey- roehampton-london, uk
- kaldarte - international event on contemporary public art, caldas de reis-pontevedra, spain
- video arte at salo olmpico project - miguel bombarda street, oporto, portugal
2002 - zie h., 1st International video art and experimental music trends in houses, frankfurt, germany
- black out, [fictionary players collective], artemosferas, oporto, portugal
- brg`02 - 2nd international festival of electronic music and multimedia art, braga, portugal
- flashcontacto [fictionary players collective], artemosferas, oporto, portugal
2001 - 3rd edition of pontos de contacto, [fictionary players collective], oporto, portugal
- the winning artists gallery, surrealism museum, v. n. famalico portugal
- itinerant collective bonjia foundation, oporto city hall, oporto, portugal
- projecto objectos ldicos, campanh foundation - oporto, portugal
2000/02 - euro-world project, high patronage of the european central bank [frankfurt], several european capitals
2000/01 - "itinerncias por San Ildefonso", la granja-madrid, spain
2000/01 - 3rd international arts biennial, marinha grande, portugal
2000 - prmio de aquisio da universidade do porto - 17 finalistas, rvore gallery, oporto, portugal
1999 - 3 + 3 da f.b.a.u.p. at matriz, v. n. famalico, portugal
1997 - revisiting marcel duchamp, coimbra university, coimbra, portugal
1996 - draw, f.b.a.u.p., porto, portugal
performance and audio-visual projects
2008 - rnd-output (by fictionary players) @ parbola gallery - jos falco, porto, portugal
2007 - guitarras variaveis 07.07.22 by and with pal - an experimental non-fixed improvised guitar project) casa da animacao, oporto, portugal, [www.larapal.org/guitarrasvariaveis]
- "puper" (by public performedia)at zero gallery, berlin, germany
- bunnys - sports (by fictionary players) at rosalux gallery, berlin, germany
- we are quiet at home 15th performance art conference (e.p.i. zentrum)
2006 - collapse in the mount (public performedia collective) operao transbordo/projecto telefrico. laboratrio das artes, guimares, portugal
- happyland [fictionary players collective]iman06: maus habitos, oporto, portugal
- quem come tudo no come o nada, iman 06, funchal, madeira island, portugal
- como o nada, iman06: casa das artes, vila nova de famalico, portugal
2005 - [multimedia and performance art in an real time experiment] with jorge f. santos and technical support by paulo c. team, sopro - transdisciplinar event, ipj, viseu
- urban c(o)urses: one hour, casa das artes de vila nova de famalico, portugal
2004 - killing rule. cinanima, espinho, portugal
2003 - art investigation (1st contact). kaldarte - public art event, caldas de reis-pontevedra, spain
- art investigation (work in progress). froebel college garden - london, uk
- art investigation (work in progress). sub-way - london, uk
- art investigation (work in progress). the theatre museu walk - london, uk
2002 - ementa (fictionary players collective)pontos de contacto, miguel seabra studio, porto, portugal
2000 - "just looking & smiling, dressing the bourdoux coat" performance developed during
the production of the creamaster cicle movie by matthew barney. guggenheim museum, new york, u.s.a.
1999 - a cerimnia do elefante dourado (with jorge f. santos) X international art bienal, vila Nova de cerveira, portugal
- voyeur dans l`espace, (with jorge f. santos), fine arts museum, oporto, portugal
1998 - revisiting gerard ritcher - the invention of memory (with jorge f. santos), f.b.a.u.p., porto, portugal
- revisiting john cage - there is no space for emotions in a work of art?, (with jorge f. santos) f.b.a.u.p., oporto, portugal
conferences/lectures and workshops
2008 - [lecturer] o universo das artes performativas - o papel das vanguardas no sculo xx, departamento de comunicao e expresses artsticas da escola superior de educao do ipvc - IV ciclo internacional de conferncias
2007 - [lecturer] da arte. da cidade. do efmero/from art. from the city. from the ephemeral, with pedro cabral santo, arte lisboa07, international contemporary art fair, lisbon
- [lecturer] sculpture practices/prticas de escultura, fbaup/faculty of fine arts of oporto
2006 - [lecturer] cultural administration vs cultural animation, e.s.e., academic campus of gaia. portugal
- [lecture and practical work] under contemporary art territories, school of santana, madeira island
- [lecturer] reflections about art in pedagogic and social context, iman art project, iec - university of minho, braga.
- [workshop-device for open lecture] around culture, casa das artes, vila nova de famalico
2005 - [lecturer, with multimedia and performance - real time experiment] with jorge f. santos and technical support by paulo c. team, sopro - transdisciplinar event, ipj, viseu
- [member of table and lecturer] painting and sculpture i.s.e.i.t. university campus - viseu
- [moderator and lecturer]homage / reflections on o pestana`s work , casa das artes, vila nova de famalico
2003 - [member of table] the power of image, e.s.e. - i.p.v.c., viana do castelo
2002 - [lecturer] interdisciplinary concepts at contemporary art practice, arca - university arts school, coimbra
- [lecturer] "artistic partnerships, structures and multidisciplinarity" [ciclo de conferncias relaes d`arte] aula magna - f.b.a.u.p.- faculty of fine arts, university of porto, porto
- [lecturer] the artemosferas project [for the students' visit - of the master degree in curatorship studies of f.b.a.u.l. - faculty of fine arts, university of lisbon), espao artes mltiplas, porto
2000 - [lecture and practical work] structures [from the request of trao visual arts association), space for the surrealism museum", v. n. famalico.
2010 - [pre-production: i.m.a.n.- art project (intermedia, multimedia, aco e nada), 5 edition]
2008/09 - [founder and director] i.m.a.n.- art project (intermedia, multimedia, aco e nada), 4 edition: uncontrolled, casa das artes famalico, with participations [for instance] as javier tudela, pedro penilo, zerofoundation, carlos sousa, bruno jamaica, nadia duvall, pascal ferreira, mariza teixeira, colectivo alg-a, etc.
2008 - [curator] off space on space off - espao comum para duas propostas de comissariado por alexandre a. r. costa + tiago almeida - exhibition, parbola gallery, jos falco street - porto.
2007 - [founder and director] i.m.a.n.- art project (intermedia, multimedia, aco e nada), 3 edition:the art of noise: incentives in order to design territories, casa das artes famalico, maus hbitos oporto, rosalux berlin, zero gallery berlin. with participations [for instance] as bartolom ferrando [es], calhau, yella, carla cruz, vitor lago silva, susana chioca or puper [pt], etc.
2006 - [founder and director] i.m.a.n.- art project (intermedia, multimedia, aco e nada), 2 edition: contemporary arts/social functions- casa das artes famalico + 10 extensions in portugal, brasil and spain [among them: universidade de minas gerais brasil with fernando aguiar, teatro viriato-viseu with pedro tudela and miguel carvalhais, galeria antnio henriques - arte contempornea with participation of gabriela albergaria and julio sarmento, funchal cultural institutions, the dinner-performances cycle with performances by paulo brando, alexandre a.r. costa or research kitchen [for instance] etc.
- artes em atelier [responsible - intermedia art workshops, viseu university campus, portugal
2005 - [founder and director] i.m.a.n.- art project (intermedia, multimedia, aco e nada) - casa das artes, v.n. famalico + 2 cultural spaces in oporto:[salo olimpico e maus habitos] with participations [for instance] as japp blonk [nl], o pestana, pedro almeida, miguel palma, pedro cabral santo [pt] juanjo fuentes or the principe 54 collective of performance [es]
- [co-organizer of sonda-viseu - experimental art fest]: museu gro vasco, instituto portugus da juventude, teatro viriato, etc. / also the exhibition with Alexandre A. R. Costa, Alice Geirinhas, o Pestana.
2004/05 - collaborating on curatorial process [responsible for the portuguese representation] with juanjo fuentes [curator of the public art event - kaldarte], caldas de reis, pontevedra, spain.
2002/03 - artist-organizer of dhiva - cycle of contemporary art at tzp
2000/03 - founder-member and responsible for the visual and performance art program @ programmatic project: artemosferas /espao artes mltiplas i.a.c. - oporto.
curatorship - visual and performing arts on the artemosferas project - porto.
2002 - [exhibition: condutas privadas] with maria lusitano santos, patricia valdez cardoso,
pedro valdez cardoso and rafael alvarez
- [exhibition of visual arts, music, d.j., v.j. and performance by francisco laranjeira:
xx - project by manuela t. campos] with adelina lopes, claudia ribau, irene ganalves, joana pimentel and manuela teixeira de campos
- [exhibition of visual arts and music: the parallel international event] with nuria [spain].
- artemosferadesign event, with furnor support [collaboration of architect and designer ermano apparo]
- [exhibition of visual arts, music and performance: black out, project by the fictionary players] with fictionary players [alexandre a.r. costa, jorge fernando dos santos and miguel seabra], catarina felgueiras/nuno jeremias ramalho, carla filipe, arturo fuentes e juanjo fuentes.
- ovarvideo fest [video recicled views] and performance, porto
- [exhibition of visual arts: an video art show?]: margarida paiva, mariken kramer, hc gile e sabina jacobsson.
- [exhibition of visual arts and music: to play and the monkey business, project by eduardo matos] with cristina regadas, eduardo matos, manuel santos maia, susana chiocca, gustavo sumpta, israel pimenta, insert, silvia castro, vitor almeida e pedro almeida paiva
- [exhibition of visual arts and music: tropicalia III] claudia ulisses, didier fiuza faustino e antonio caramelo
- [exhibition of visual arts and music: flashcontacto] with antonio leal, fausto assuno, joana mateus, jos a. pereira, bruno santos silva, cecilia albuquerque, fabrizio scoditti, the fictionary players: alexandre a.r. costa, miguel seabra e jorge f. santos, israel pimenta, manuel santos maia, manuela nuno de campos, renato ferro, isabel ribeiro and sergio azevedo.
2001 - [exhibition of visual arts and music: 7 artistas ao 11 ms, project by pedro cabral santo] with alice geirinhas, joo fonte santa, miguel soares, paulo mendes, pedro amaral, pedro cabral santo e joo simes.
- [exhibition of visual arts and music: regras do jogo da glria. projecto by paulo mendes] with daniel barroca, fernando ribeiro, joo tabarra, pedro barateiro e virgnia mota.
- [parallel event to the exhibition: fictional buzzing: o cruzeiro] de paulo castro.
- [exhibition of visual arts, performance and music: fictional buzzing - 1st] with miguel soares, remixing. fernando fadigas, antonio olaio e joo taborda. [exhibition of visual arts, performance and music: fictional buzzing - 2st] with vitor lago silva e pascal ferreira.
- [exhibition of visual arts and music: inaugural artemosferas]: with joo louro, miguel palma, joo onofre and pedro tudela. concert by @c+lia. , … Read More