Prints & Monoprints
Drawings & Paintings
Sculptures & Installations
For many years now, Mary-Ann BEALL has been working on series, using various surfaces and materials – wood, canvas, paper, steel, magnets, pigments, whitewash ... She is in search of a tactile and luminous contrast in her choice of textures. The rough aspect of the materials remains, but the artist strives to transform them with her work, through the way she arranges them and brings them together. This is indeed the very essence of a mixed technique which erases the rigid boundaries between watercolour, oil, etching and sculpture, and tends to dissolve the immutable separation between the work of art, the wall and the viewer.
In this suspended space, her work becomes an abstract sensory invitation. It calls on the sensitive memory of the viewer and allows him to make his own, or rather to tame, what is in front of him, looking at him, what is there as well as some other thing : forever already there, something else. …Read More
Selected Personal Exhibitions
• 2012 Biarritz Multi-Media Library, Basque Country. Poétique du vent – solo exhibition and installation – from April 5 to April 28
• 2011 ATELIER 38 - Paris 18th . L’étrange pays - Solo exhibition : Paintings & Sculptures. April
• 2010 L’OEIL DU HUIT GALLERY, 8 rue Milton, Paris 9th. Entre-deux. Drawings & paintings, sculptures – from November 23 to December 12.
• 2010 ESPACE 9CUBE, 9th arrondissement City Hall, Paris. Dépaysements, a polysemy of change. Call for proposals, supported by Paris Cultural Affairs and Paris 9th arrondissement City Hall – Installation : sculptures - la bourse ou la vie/money or life – Painted canvas - Photos & postcards - Texts & poems – Engraved slates - From June 1 to September 24.
• 2005 LA MAISON ROUGE, Antoine de Galbert Foundation for
Contemporary Art, Paris 11th - Installation : Omni, mobile sculpture 4m x 3m, set in the patio of the Foundation and during a Dior Evening Event – February
• 2004 JLS 13 GALLERY, Paris 13th – Recents works - on paper and wood - May
Selected Collective Exhibitions
• 2012 Musée des Tapisseries, Aix en Provence, South of France - Le temps de l’eau with the collective TMTTR, from March 17 to May 20
• 2012-2011 UMUC Gallery, Adelphy, MD, USA –Poetics of Water with the collective TMTTR, from October 31 to January 15
• 2011 St-Mathieu de Tréviers, South of France – Les Vendémiaires - Artists Residency and exhibition – October 1 to October 10
• 2011 Rencontres & Expressions, Crypte Ste-Eugénie, Biarritz, Basque Country – from October 22 to November 13
• 2011 ATELIER 38 & 40 - Paris 75018 . Mary-Ann Beall & Franck Paglieri exhibition: Translucidi/ludici Paintings & installation. June
• 2009 COMMÉMURATION : Installation by the artists group D’ANVERS AUX ABBESSES to celebrate the fall of the Berlin Wall, on the island in the middle of boulevard Rochechouart, Paris 75018. Sponsored by the 18th and 9th City Halls. The Wall was then exhibited for 3 weeks in the 8th arrondissement, at Espace BEAUJON.
• 2009 L’OEIL DU HUIT GALLERY, PARIS 9th, on the theme of water - May/June
• 2007 ESPACE CHÂTEAU NEUF, Bayonne (Basque country). Rencontres & Expression. Paintings and Installation - March/April
• 2007 NUIT BLANCHE IN PARIS : 27 place de l’Europe - A Dialogue between artists ; a symbolical site - Installation by D’ANVERS AUX ABBESSES - October 6th. Sponsored by the Ville de Paris and integrated within the marked path of the Nuit Blanche. The installation was then exhibited for 2 weeks in Paris 9th arrondissement City Hall, SALONS AGUADO.
• 2006 ESPACE CHÂTEAU NEUF, Bayonne (Basque country). Rencontres & Expressions. Paintings - April
• 2006 PROFORM’ART GALLERY, Bayonne (Basque country). Paintings and drawings - July/August
• 2005 BEATRIX ENEA VILLA, Centre for contemporary art, Anglet (Basque country). Paintings and Installation of a piece in the reception lobby of the Art Centre - October
• 2005 GUÉTHARY MUSEUM, SARALEGUINEA (Basque country). Paintings: works on paper, wood, and canvas ; MEDUSA 2 Installation : invitation to walk across the jellyfish and experiment a strange voice - October
• 2005 NOCTURNES : 60 ans du vote effectif des femmes/60 years of Women’s vote in France : collective exhibition initiated by the group D’ANVERS AUX ABBESSES. Set of Medusa 1 – travelling exhibition : March (Paris 18th arrondissement City Hall) October (Nuit Blanche: Paris 9th arrondissement City Hall) and December (GENNEVILLIERS TOWN HALL)
• 2004 ESPACE CHÂTEAU NEUF, Bayonne (Basque country). Rencontres & Expressions. Paintings on canvas and wood - March/April
• 2004 L’OEIL DU HUIT GALLERY, Paris 9th. Theme exhibition - June
• 2002 L’ANNEXE GALLERY, Veulettes-sur-Mer, NORMANDY. Works on paper - July/August
• Since 2003, Mary-Ann BEALL has been a member of artists group D’ANVERS AUX ABBESSES, on the BUTTE MONTMARTRE. Each third weekend in November, the group members open their studios to the public. http://www.anversauxabbesses.fr/artistes/user/mabeallcantero
• Since 2002, Mary-Ann BEALL has been selling her work to private companies and collectors : paintings, sculptures, mobile sculptures, installations.
• 2005 The town of Anglet (Basque Country) acquired tiens ? il neige… It is now on display in the VILLA BEATRIX ENEA Hall.
• 2008 The town of Levallois Perret (near Paris) acquired various sculptures & installations to be displayed in various public City Halls, such as Rose des Sables – Atlas - Tears Curtain…
Selected Public and Private Commissions,
• Since 1983, Mary-Ann BEALL has been designing and realizing original graphic and plastic works on public commissions, working with architects, cities and various local councils.
Architects : Atelier DUBUS, agence A5A, Creatime, Lehoux-Phily…
Town Halls : Anglet, Bondy, Levallois-Perret, Pantin, Saint-Mandé, and City Councils from different French districts (Ardèche, Pyrénées, Seine-Saint-Denis…). Paris : Cité des Sciences Museum and Hôpital Saint-Louis … The European Council, the French Ministry of Culture…
Companies, businesses and individuals : Accor, Almen Gibirila, Armada de Rouen, Baccarat, Cinq Pla-nètes, Dior, Excalibur, Hôtel Crillon, Kenzo, Marèse, Pascal Obispo, l’Occitane, Entreprise Simeonni… …Read More
• Art studies, Michigan State University & Academy of Art College, San Francisco, USA, 1977-1979
• Art studies : Antique techniques : whitewash and Fresco ; Dijon, France 1998-2000